February 03, 2017

winter & help


This has basically been, how yesterday looked liked. Almost. A gorgeous sunrise in the morning. Cold but incredibly beautiful. After coffee and some cookies, I am the worst when it comes to breakfast routines, I then jumped in the car and drove to Berlin. Teaching. And there, I was greeted to another beautiful version of winter.

What I didn't capture though; the heavy rain and the ice on the way back. Me driving superslow on the highway and almost losing it on our driveway. It doesn't work well, when you're trying to walk uphill over clear ice, while using crutches. It simply doesn't.

Still, this isn't an anecdote on how tough life can be. Or especially, how tough winter can become, when you're walking with crutches or sitting in a wheelchair. We all know that and it is a fact, one has to work around.

Obviously I did make it to the house unharmed. But it was crystal clear, a funny analogy while talking about ice, that I wouldn't be able to leave the house again. For hours. The husband in Berlin and on top, he had to be picked up from the trainstation way past midnight. And so I have asked for help, because sometimes we just can't manage things on our own. And suddenly, instead of a dose of weather drama, I had a wonderful time; neighbors came over to walk Emma and to check out my way to the car. One did throw road salt, another one came over for tea and a nice chat. The only thing to do for me, was to start that engine at midnight and carefully drive that car of mine, through ice and fog and to get my love home safely. And holy canneloni, did I enjoy that ride in the end.

Funny, how the biggest obstacles can be turned into something good. And how a little bit of trust, can lower anxieties and strengthen us. Asking for help even more so.

And today's ice, I don't care. There will be most likely a solution. And spring. Eventually











No comments:

Post a Comment