July 10, 2015

the round table


Last Friday, I have been invited to attend a pretty interesting meeting. The round table on culture and inclusion at the office of the Federal Government Representative for Culture and Media. Sounds already impressive, right? And believe me, that has been exactly, how it felt like.

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague had sent me a note about such a meeting, basically saying, they were looking for artists with a disability. Usually this disabled thing isn't something, I would put my main focus on. It is simply one of the many different pieces, of the person that I am. No more, no less. And so, I went thinking about the note for several days, not sure if it would be right to jump in or rather stay in the studio and paint. The husband finally pushed me over the edge, reminding me how often I had been angry lately, about politics and especially about the way Germany is not handling the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities very well. To be honest, we might have to say, my country hasn't handled them at all.

So, finally I've decided to give it a chance and sent out an email.

Only minutes later, the phone rang and a nice lady told me, they would be very pleased to welcome me at their table. I was pretty thrilled, when minutes later, I was starting to regret my move forward. During the following conversation with that lady, it occured to me, how difficult the meeting would going to be. Many different perspectives, even more opinions, let alone interests about money and funds. It wasn't at all like I would meet twenty people with a broad smile on their face. Some of them even believed, the idea to actually include artists with a disability, would lower the professional level and could end in sobby stories alone.

You've probably guessed, I was infuriated, as who else could be the most perfect expert, but the people who live the life of an artist with a disability. And what did they mean, with less professional after all? I couldn't believe what I had to listen to. And I was very close to chicken out. Very close. 

After another two days and even more complicated positions made clear, this time in form of quite insulting emails, I was finally able to let it go. And surprisingly, to find a calm spot to focus on. None of them knew me yet, I didn't know them either. It would have been just plain silly to come up with a final verdict, without at least trying to convince them otherwhise and to tell them what I had to say.  

When Friday arrived, I was all fine. It was incredibly hot that day, which appeared to be much more of a hustle then anything else. Therefore I did concentrate on enough water, on fruits in my bag and I did enjoy the ride to the meeting, with the windows of my brown beast rolled down. Listening to loud music. When I've arrived at the place, the first thing I did find out, and hey we're talking government building, they didn't have a disability parking spot (they'll get one now. strike!), but the atmosphere, when finally entering the conference room, was really friendly and nice. Everybody personally greeted one another with a hand shake and we took place around an endless table, after sharing water and pouring coffee for each other. That kind of atmosphere.

You would have probably laughed a little, when I did start talking during the short round of introduction: "My name is Annton Beate Schmidt, I am a fine artist with no institutionell background. And I am here for myself." (Most of the others came from huge organisations, from political parties, universities or charity clubs. And apart from me, there really was only one other artist with a disability). The people around me at least did, they'd looked up in short astonishment. I might have sounded a bit funny, but it helped to gain all the confindence that was needed and to make it absolutely clear, from where I was coming from. From that moment on, I felt totally free to say whatever came into my mind, I took a stand on all the positions I believed to be important, even respectfully argued with the government representatives. 

Something really important had clicked in my the back of my mind suddenly, something I've always had known rationally, but this time I did actually feel it as well; it was absolutely not important how I would appear or what the others might think about me, as long as it felt, like I was sticking to the person that I am and as long as I would keep things authentic. That and no other rule was there to follow.

And tell you what, at the end of the day, I was invited to become an official member of the round table from now on. How is that for a reward?! 











 

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you so much. greetings from berlin!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you, Stef.! I will do my best, as actually it was alot of fun to conquer this. x annton

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thank you, love. you have been a big part of this and without you, it would have not been possible! xx

      Delete
  4. You rock! You are such a great person and the way you tell it, it is just so wonderful! So funny at times and so serious and angry at other point, but all with great respect to others and you deserve that back! And that last thing you wrote, about being yourself and keep it authentic, well that really touches me. We should all keep that in mind, not trying to be someone else. Really, great job! A lot of victory hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dearest, thank you so much for your lovely words and all the compliments. if you could see me reading them, all blushed, you would have probably laughed. in fact, I still am blushing right now. sending lots of love and hugs to you!

      Delete
  5. baby, it sounds every bit as thrilling and interesting as it did when you first told me, enthusiasm included. i have only just now found your sweet note in my email box. having been back for a few days now, i did get round to posting about berlin, and you'll find i have mentioned you in it, i haven't added the picture, i am sending it seperately.
    can i just say again how grateful i am you let me into your house and your home for those glorious hours we talked and i got to know you a little, for real.
    hang in, sista, in this governmental challenge, you have got what it takes and you can make changes! power!
    much love, also to thomas and emma. nadine♥
    ps - patrice sends her love, she was intrigued! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, it has been such a pleasure having you, that incredibly hot saturday (I wasn't sure if my brain had worked. at all). you are as strong and as vivid, as I had imaged you before. and much more! I hope to meet you again soon, love! xx annton

      Delete
    2. annton, you absolute darling! thxs. and me too, i feel still so very chuffed. you sparkle! n♥

      Delete
  6. wow, that's great news. they need people like you. unaffiliated and strong-headed. and it's great to hear that someone is actually doing something rather than just complaining and moaning about shit. I think that's one of today's big issues. we all have opinions [especially being outraged seems to be a thing] but no one is willing to actually do anything about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, dear! it makes me happy, that you all believe, I can do that. and it makes me stronger. yes, the complaining and not doing anything (on my side as well), was exactly why I did it. we have to give it a try, to find out, if it is for us. right?! xx a.

      Delete