May 09, 2013

breaking good

Recently I have been reading a lot about freelance work, throughout different blogs or magazines. There are many aspects according to this topic; from schedules and self-discipline, there is that old life and work balance trick, you will find many texts about inspiration or some plain and dry business related points. It is all part of the deal. The most interesting thoughts to me though, have been ideas of taking a break. Of taking a break and stepping back once in a while. Trying to make it as an artist, or in any other self-employed area, means you're super busy most of the time. As with this, to me it seems extremely important to stop here and there, to sit down and think about the paths you're following. And I don't mean going for a walk or having a great night with friends. I mean a serious break. Especially, when there are two of your type around the house. So, over the first months of this year, this is exactly what we have been doing around the Fishbowl. In the beginning it was nothing but pleasure, after a while then and when the talking got deeper, the feeling wasn't always that nice anymore. Suddenly you'll discover all those little flaws and misunderstandings that daily routines bring. You'll find out about the parts of your work, that you have always done the same way, but which actually don't really work that great any more. And you'll develop a certain need of letting go. Letting things go and creating new ones instead, comes with many moments of uncertainty and even with some kind of weakness. It did get pretty scary, to be honest, as some of the plans we had believed in for quite a while, simply vanished and left a bit of a vacuum. Luckily we went on; talking, thinking, arguing, talking again and suddenly everything got much easier. Almost like the mist had gone too and a clear sight took its place. Right now, I am back, feeling much more in control of what I want and where I wanna go, even with an environment that hasn't changed in a super dramatic way (yet!), it is me who feels different. And much more inspired by the days to come.

6 comments:

  1. Happy for you that you've reached this stage, I know how it feels to want to step back and just take some time to figure things out as I've been doing it for some time and indeed it can be scary at times. I feel that I'm reaching that stage where I'm ready to dive back in and give it my all again, something I've not been able to do for some time and I've missed it, really missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. this stage still feels a bit shaky here and there, but you're right, it is a good one. happy to have found you a different place too, btw. ;)

      Delete
  2. Taking a break is underrated. It's so important to give things time to breath and develop naturally. Glad you're feeling the way you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you remember me, being nervous taking that break, even for you ;) yes they're important and it is probably mostly our fear of loss, that keeps us going. silly humans, that we are. sometimes. xxx

      Delete
  3. wonderful!
    this lack of breaks keeps us on a treadmill, of life, of creativity, of relationship, of self-growth. we live simply churning out the same, going in circles. breaks ARE scary, on many levels, but they get us off that treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of knew, you will understand and actually, your posts were part of the inspiration. thank you for that!

      Delete