May 29, 2013

a long affair

"landscape of a decent day"(120 x 80cm/oil on canvas by Annton Beate Schmidt)
Since we have lived in New Zealand a couple of years ago, a piece of my heart seems to have remained there. Though I am mostly happy in my current hood, I also miss the landscape, the sound and the light of Aotearoa (Land of the long white Cloud) like crazy. Something about those islands has deeply impressed me and therefor, you'll quite often find Pacific Island stories or faces around my work. This Maori guy, especially, lives in the Fishbowl for months already. Our affair went on and of, for such a long time, I cannot even recall when it has acutally started. I do remember though, how much we've been fighting. Several times, it felt like he is screaming at me in the morning and I have banned him into the most distant corner of the studio. Only to carry him back on the easel, of course, some days later. For many, many studio hours, I had not the slightest idea on how it would feel, when this piece of work will be finally finished. The only thing I did know, I had to go through with it. And so, I have named him Grumpy Man (not that his grumpiness shows at first sight) and went on. Today, this afternoon, I was done. I have set the last brushstroke and am ready to let him go now. Wherever he will head off. I am still not sure what to think about him, but I will cheer to him tonight. Let's see, how coming into the studio, back to him, will feel by tomorrow morning.

8 comments:

  1. wow,
    beautiful work!
    grumpy man is hiding his grumpiness quite well. he looks more calm and observing to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, sara! yes, now that we are through, grumpy man & I find each other much more tempting, than during the process.

      Delete
  2. but what a fantastic placement of man and fish bone. he seems to be saying - just chill out, it'll be what it'll be anyway.

    fabulous. you conquered him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! strange how his energy seems to have changed, now that he is hanging on the wall. having "conquered" him, in fact, does chill me out and gives me strength.

      Delete
  3. I always loved him. I wonder where he'll be heading to next... and you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I didn't know, you did. thank you. yes, where will we be going. it is going to stay interesting... xx

      Delete
  4. He looks great! I haven't been to New Zealand yet, but it's so close.
    I am sure I will go sometime soon. It always seems like a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and I am sure, you will love NZ. it carries a special kind of magic. see you soon, south ;-)

      Delete