August 19, 2012

"on going places"

Some things take much longer than you might have expected. And then suddenly they're here and everything is slightly different. Since ten days I am the proud owner of a sparkling new car. A wonderful brown beast, with lots of loading space for canvases and for transporting all the building materials I need for my intallations. There is space for friends and family (including a proper box for Emma) too  and even the chance to sleep in there, one or the other night, while exploring new places. Simply perfect. But actually, owning that car means much more to me than the pur fun. As not all of you might know, I'm living this life on crutches. It is something I was born with, which has never changed and which never will change. And something that didn't make me too fond about walking or takling long distances. It always has been quite a hustle to transport my work and to reach appointments via the public transport system. I have somehow managed, but it did require a lot of organisation and a good dose of loops. Great for me, Germany has a law to encourage companies to hire disabled people. When deciding on not doing it up to a certain rate, companies have to pay money into a government fund. This fund is used to create more sufficient work environments for people with skills, but special needs too. One can apply for hiring a sign language interpreter or for money to train an assistant dog. It can be everything from a special work desk up to, like in my case, the budget for a car and the special technics that needed to be build in. For example, as I cannot use my feet for operating the gas or the brakes, I am using my hands instead. To receive that kind of generous funding though, one has to demonstrate, that what you do for a living is something worth spending public money on. There was a business concept included, numerous amounts of studio visits, appointments, some "no's", more concepts, and a lot of numbers, until I finally got the go. I do believe this is a good thing, even when it got terribly frustrating in the middle, but we're not talking about cents here. And above, all this thinking and writing down, helped me in the end in more than one way. I kind of sense, it will be very useful within the next months from a business perspective too. Back to the brown beast; only ten days and it is hard to image how things have been before. How quick we tend to adjust. At the same time, it is still exciting. As summer is finally here, I will take another long ride now, ending up at some silent lake. Maybe you'll see me rushing by. Happily waving or inviting you for a ride.

6 comments:

  1. wohoo! enjoy the lakes. summer arrived in london and berlin at the same time. only the lakes are missing, oh those beautiful lakes around Berlin.
    Say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! You deserve it, enjoy every moment of it and I wonder where your work will go, now you have this brown beast;-) Have a save trip today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations, enjoy it and drive safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations. I know we Germans sometimes have a bit of a bad rep, but things like that are just fabulous, don't you think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came fron Celine's blog, congratulations for your price!!!
    This Labrador dog is yours?? I have one, the same face!!!!! but mine have 7 years old now!!!! i think this is a baby labrador, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for being happy with me; I DID some driving. wohoo! and I DID send greetings to those lakes @Liv.

    @Petra. you're right, I do believe that kind of system is great and am very thankful for such an opportunity.

    @roberto. welcome around, it is nice to meet you. Emma is our dog and she sure knows how to look little and cute. though she's already turned three in spring ;-)

    ReplyDelete