December 21, 2011

"a humble artist"


Recently I got interviewed for w i r magazin, a publication for and about alumni of the Freie Universität Berlin. It had been an article about former students, who are trying to make their way within the cultural industry and about the things that drive them the most. I had been telling the story about me and my beloved grandfather; a man who has been a huge inspiration to me ever since, someone who taught me to believe in myself, but also someone with quite a few shadows lingering around his biography. Coming to understand these kinda gaps, still keeps me thinking. It definitely has triggered my deep interest in personal and collective memories, the ways we handle them and what they mean to our present. A great part of my creative work involves that. Today a copy of the printed wir issue found it's way into the Fishbowl's mailbox and I have to say, it looks much better than I could have expected. Thank you Bernd Wannenmacher for a very pleasant experience and for pictures, even my critical self is totally comfortable with.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations!!! looks great. I like the picture of you and your grandfather, the way you both look into the camera.
    Wish you a nice and warm christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my very poor and almost forgotten German, I actually managed to read the whole article. Your grandfather's background is surely interesting, but no barrier to have been loved by you (and many others, I'm sure). It was a different time, well worth exploring and trying to understand, even from a distance. I do share your interest in personal and collective memories and how it shapes what we think and who we become.

    It's a lovely image, and so is your portrait; the spark in your eyes is still the same. Your grandfather would be proud of you, and I feel proud to know you!

    Many congratulations to you, Annton!
    Much Love,
    Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents both had a big influence on me.
    My grandma is so creative and has always done amazing things with me. Congrats to the interview.
    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MERRY CHRISTMAS DEAREST ANNTON!!!!!!!

    Kisses
    Wes

    ReplyDelete